Monday 11 January 2016

My Random Piece Of Writing



Why not put in a steam engine? It's Related To My Project. 



Well, I haven't made any progress other than trying to continue securing help to get pieces printed, so I figured I would put in a small piece of writing for no real reason other than the fact that it's related. So here it is.


A 3D printer in the home is an almost unimaginable feat for most people, including myself, but what if it wasn’t? Introducing the Mendel. Made by a small company called Reprap, it costs almost $1500 to make. I’m looking to lower that cost to less than $1000 and make the printer easier to assemble and use. This will target entrepreneurs looking to kick-start a manufacturing business, and will also be of interest to residential users looking for a hobby, similar to myself. This project marks the start of something bigger for me, allowing me to see that I can build machines that could change the world.


Having the ability to design something that can replicate itself is amazing! Why was I inspired to do this project instead of some other one, like designing a toy or a car for the marketplace? That's because I am passionate about engineering; the art of taking knowledge of mathematics and science and using them to invent, design and build many amazing things. One great example of such ingenuity is the steam engine, a driving factor in the industrial revolution and a key player in the evolution of technology. What's the next step in our technological evolution? Robots? Flying cars? My belief is that our next major step forward in our path of technology is a 3D printer which is able to do something so large scale such as to print houses out of mud, or do something so delicate as printing a human organ, single cells at a time. Having an understanding of the technology that may one day become a part of our society in more ways than one would be extremely important in my lifetime, which is why I wish to pursue this project. Through this project I hope to gain an understanding of what may one day make most of the world, and maybe even the people, around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment